Dr. Gordon Siegel at Midwestern ENT in Chicago, IL is a full-spectrum otolaryngology specialist. Our ENT specialist is well-versed and educated in the entire field of otolaryngology, including head and neck surgery for all medical conditions involving disorders of the ear, nose, and throat.
What to Expect When Facing Voice Surgery
Dr. Siegel at Midwestern ENT in Chicago, IL, can explain the facts about voice surgery to their patients, such as the types of vocal cord lesions like polyps, cysts, and nodules, the surgical interventions required, and the post-op healing approaches.
Patients generally opt for surgery if the lesion is large and becomes a chronic problem. The focus of surgery is to remove the lesion altogether.
The laser method of lesion removal offers a more rapid recovery with less risk of complications. Traditional and laser techniques are done once you are under anesthesia. Our doctor will decide which surgical intervention is best for you; then, it is your choice to proceed with a surgical intervention.
After vocal surgery, it is best to remember several common-place approaches for faster healing.
- Speak in a gentle, natural voice. Avoid yelling, singing, coughing, clearing the throat, heavy lifting, strenuous exercise, and talking for long periods. Talk for at most 20 minutes, then take a ten-minute break.
- Avoid using the phone for three weeks and communicate via e-mail or message.
- Call our doctor for increased throat pain or hoarseness.
- Drink plenty of water every day.
- Avoid drinking caffeine and alcohol.
- Consider meeting with a speech pathologist after surgery.
- After surgery, the doctor may prescribe acid-blocking medication to keep stomach acid from interfering with tissue healing.
Remember to be kind to your throat by initiating and learning chronically good vocal habits.
Midwestern ENT in Chicago, IL for All Your Otolaryngology Needs
If you are facing voice surgery and suspect you have a vocal lesion or do not know the problem with your throat, please make an appointment with our doctor to examine you and gather information about your concerns.
Patients in the Chicago area or surrounding communities must know that Dr. Siegel is a skilled doctor and leader in otolaryngology and voice surgery techniques.
The Midwestern ENT office location is in Chicago, IL. You can call the office for an appointment at (312) 988-7777.