How sinus surgery from your ENT specialist in Chicago, IL, can help you
If you have sinus issues and need sinus surgery, you may be wondering what to expect while you recover. Dr. Gordon Siegel at Midwest ENT in Chicago, IL, provides a wide range of ENT services, including sinus surgery.
There are different types of sinus surgery, and your ENT specialist can help you decide the surgical procedure which is best for you.
The various types of sinus surgery include:
- Balloon sinuplasty
- Endoscopic sinus surgery
- Open sinus surgery
Sinus surgery may be recommended if you have:
- Recurrent sinusitis
- Sinus headaches
- Recurrent sinus infections
- Nasal polyps
- Fungal sinus disease
- Nasal or sinus obstructions
Sinus surgery recovery varies, depending on which procedure you have. After sinus surgery you may experience:
To relieve your symptoms and aid healing, your ENT specialist may recommend:
- Irrigating your sinuses with saline solution to clear out dried blood and mucus, and to relieve swelling
- Keeping your head elevated to help prevent bleeding and swelling
- Using an extra pillow to elevate your head when you sleep
- Leaving any nasal packing or splints in place until you are instructed to remove them
- Avoiding blowing your nose for at least the first week after surgery
- Avoiding heavy lifting or strenuous exercise
- Avoiding taking aspirin, which can increase bleeding
You will probably experience bleeding after the procedure. This is normal, but if you continue to bleed heavily, call your ENT specialist.
Recovery from sinus surgery can take several weeks. Your ENT specialist may want you to come in for a checkup within the first week after surgery to make sure you are healing well. If you have packing, your ENT specialist will probably remove it during the checkup appointment.
To learn more about sinus surgery and what to expect, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Gordon Siegel at Midwest ENT in Chicago, IL. You can reach him in the office by calling (312) 988-7777, so call now.